Strange linking problem

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Wed May 28 23:10:09 PDT 2008

Hasso Tepper wrote:
> Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> > Could you check what libtool is doing to the arguments?  I suspect it
> > reorders them and places DynaLoader.a *before* libnetsnmpagent.so.
> > Ld's default is only to include those objects of an archive, which
> > are needed up to that point.  If libnetsnmpagent.so is specified
> > later, it won't be able to make use of the contained DynaLoader.a.
> > There is a flag to change this behavior, I think.  The alternative is
> > to reorder the arguments or to add DynaLoader.a at the end again.
>
> No, DynaLoader.a is after libnetsnmpagent.so.

But seems that it's pkgrsc libtool wrapper which reorders libraries so
that DynaLoader.a will be after libnetsnmpagent.so :(.

To make things even stranger - at least one user testing the patch doesn't
have the linking problem. Does anyone else see it? The patch is available
at http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hasso/pkgsrc-net-net-snmp.patch.

--
Hasso Tepper