/dev f*ckup

wazigster at gmail.com wazigster at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:29:36 PDT 2008

I screwed up the owner/group settings of the /dev/* files, while as
root in the /dev folder doing:

#chown -R john:users *
*I was kinda sleep deprived, so I only noticed it after pressing the
enter key, that I was in the wrong directory

as a "fix" I did:

#chown -R root:wheel *

so now my whole /dev, belongs to root and group wheel. The system -
that is the stuff I use - still works, but I really want to bring back
the owner/group settings of the /dev directory as it should be, but I
have no clue how to do this without completely reinstalling the system
or chown'ing the files in the /dev 1 by 1, which is even more work.

Is there a way to roleback owner/group settings (I know the filesystem
isn't journaling,) ?

Or is it possible to copy the contents of the install cd /dev to the
disk /dev to fix this, and if so how?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I know I did something very lame and it's even lamer that I have
no clue how to fix it, so I don't need trollers telling me - something
I already know.