FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 03:26:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
>
>  > Hi Kris,
>  >
>  > Do you think you'd have a chance to load up Windows Server on the same
>  > machine and compare its MySQL and PostgreSQL to modern Linux, FreeBSD
>  > and Solaris?
>

> I dont think there's much chance of that, sorry.  I dont have access to
>  a copy, the test machines are remotely hosted, and I doubt windows
>  server can be booted over pxe :)  I'd need someone to provide me with
>  access to their own machine running those OSes.

I was afraid you'd say that. I'm a pretty average consumer
hardware-wise (I like to think I make up for it with software :P) so
all I have is an Athlon64 X2 and a portable Core Duo.

By the way, jeffr mentions:
http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/18706.html
"Next up, we now have a 16 way xeon and 16 way opteron system to tune
and test with. More points of contention are being removed. The code
marches on."

Perhaps future benchmarks can use those systems, though I don't know
the exact details of how those machines are provided and their
limitations.

--
Dmitri Nikulin

Centre for Synchrotron Science