Bittorrent for releases (offering)

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Thu Mar 6 08:29:31 PST 2008

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/FrequentlyRejectedRequests
I don't think we'll be having a "torrent" of traffic anytime soon.
I'm not sure why this is on that page - we've had torrents for previous
releases.  There's no reason to refuse torrents.  (and we never had
rejected the idea, making that wiki page wrong).
We actually had them when I was seeding/tracking them.  But I stopped
doing that at least 1.5 years ago or so.  There is simply no benefit.  I
bet that http/ftp downloads are even faster than torrent ones.

And as the wiki points out, the administrative overhead is significant.

I don't think we need torrents.  But we'd need somebody who dedicates some
time to maintain mirror lists for isos, snapshots and packages and will
maintain a mirror selection tool/dns roundrobin, etc.

cheers
  simon