Installation on Macbook Pro

Christopher Rawnsley rawprawns at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:26:23 PDT 2008

Here is a little update for my problem...

On 12 Mar 2008, at 02:48, YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
IIRC, you need to fiddle with ad5*.  A better alternative I can
think of
is to partition (or maybe even disklabel it and newfs -O1) using
FreeBSD
installer first, then boot with DragonFly LiveCD, and continue the
rest
of procedure explained in /README .
Formatting with FreeBSD worked fine. FreeBSD appeared to have
formatted the disk differently by switching the slice order. So the
165 ID (DragonFly/Free BSD) slice came before my 175 ID (HFS+) slice
even though the physical disk layout was the other way round
(Significant at all?). I now had a properly sliced drive so I rebooted
with DF which could now write to the disk :). Thank you for that,
Yonetani.

So I rebooted and this time booted from the hard drive. Boot loader
came up! Unfortunately, it couldn't boot the DF slice. So I went back
to the CD and (this is where I got a bit stupid...) fired up fdisk to
check everything out. Nothing to odd. Had a look at gpt's output too.
Which I found to be a little odd. The DF slice shared the same index
(of 1) with my EFI slice with Mac OS X at index 2.

Let me first explain that, from what I read, in order for a computer
to comply with EFI they have to have an extra slice set aside for EFI.
On my laptop that means that I have this in the form of a 200MB slice
with the rest for whatever. Now I remember seeing when Mac OS X and
Windows was installed, I booted into the DF live CD and ran gpt. The
output that time around was EFI slice at 1, Mac OS X at 2 and Windows
at 3. Even though I don't think boot0 can boot from the GPT, I wonder
whether the FreeBSD installer changed something in a similar way to
the MBR. Very speculative, I know but I can't check out anymore
'cause...

Going on my hunch that something in the MBR was wrong and was causing
boot0 to not read it properly I decided to open up fdisk and see if I
could find anything that might be a cause. I checked each slice
through using the -u option (IIRC) and when I got the the Mac OS X
slice it complained about the head boundaries being all wrong. I
rather stupidly thought that I'd let it automatically update this.
This caused nothing to boot etc. Long story short I ended wiping
everything in favour of it being quicker for me (I had deadlines to
meet...). It was all backed up so hopefully that won't keep anyone
awake at night!

I think I will come back to DF in the not so distant future but I'm
just going to let myself go on other things for now. Thanks a lot to
all you guys who tried to help me. I really appreciate it :)

--
Chris
P.S. Would it be possible to by pass the MBR all together in favour of