Installation on Macbook Pro

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sun Mar 9 14:10:03 PDT 2008

Christopher Rawnsley wrote:
On 9 Mar 2008, at 19:55, Bill Hacker wrote:
What else has had its fingers on that disk and its label prior to the
attempt?
Well I used the Boot Camp Assistant (basically a partitioner) from
within Mac OS X which resized my disk for "installing Windows". So it
formatted it with FAT32 but I just tried overwriting it with DF.

And/or - do you have a disk that nothing Apple-ish has yet touched?
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean another internal disk? If
so, then no. I just have a 120GB volume of which 15GB is reserved for DF
the rest is an HFS+ volume for Mac OS X. I also have a 2GB USB flash
drive. Do you think I should I try that?
I would actually recommend an external HDD on FW-800 or USB2.

Apple marches to the beat of a whole different orchestra w/r disk layout
& labels, so I had to do that to get FreeBSD/PPC or OpenBSD/PPC up on my
G4 PowerBook 17".

And I don't use hfs at all - not even for OS X.

The Wintel models might seem easier by virtue of using a commodity CPU,
 but *everything* Apple does is different, sometimes outright contrarian.

(If only IBM had made an affordable Power architecture laptop...)

DFLY  - or any *BSD - needs only a fraction of the resources even a
cleand-up and stripped-down OS X consumes.

Ergo, a used 'Industry Standard' Wintel would save you time vs the Apple
'appliance' as well as performing better.

Bill