Ruby crash on DragonFly

Erik Wikström Erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Sun Mar 30 02:17:57 PDT 2008

On 2008-03-30 07:06, elekktretterr at exemail.com.au wrote:
> Hi all,
> Ruby (on Rails) crashes in certain situations(like running ActiveLdap.find
> inside a model or view, or render_component), where it should work and
> creates a core18.dump.
>
> porncatalog# gdb -q ruby18 ruby18.core
> Core was generated by `ruby18'.
> Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
> Reading symbols from /usr/pkg/lib/libruby18.so.18...done.

> #0  0x2809a251 in rb_eval (self=697870460, n=0x29049808) at eval.c:2927
> 2927    eval.c: No such file or directory.
>         in eval.c
>
> Any idea why it can't find eval.c? And how to resolve this? Very urgent,
> need to fix this to finish off a project for a client.

Not really my area of expertise but you said it was urgent. If you have
installed Ruby (and the Rails) as a package instead of compiling it
yourself it might explain why ruby.c was not found, it is simply not
installed on your computer. Note that most likely it is gdb who is
complaining about ruby.c not being found, and this has nothing to do
with the crash itself.

The cause of the crash is "Illegal instruction" which makes me think
that it has been compiled for a different platform than the one you are
running on, perhaps it was compiled with SSE2 support and your CPU does
not have it or something similar. If that's the case than you should be
able to fix this by recompiling the app with the correct flags.

--
Erik Wikström