Help getting Canon LiDE 30 USB scanner to work

Vincent Stemen vince.dragonfly at hightek.org
Wed Jun 11 18:58:25 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:37:56PM -0700, walt wrote:

> I didn't change or configure anything when building sane-backends or
> libusb,
> so the defaults worked okay for me, and sane-find-scanner is linked against
> libusb.
>
>> Because the sane-usb manual says to remove any kernel usb scanner driver
>> in order to use it.
>
> I had to do that in NetBSD but not DragonFly.

I got it working finally!  After upgrading my kernel to 1.12.2-RELEASE, I had
the same "device busy" problem, only since the uscanner driver in the kernel
now recognizes my scanner and attaches to it, sane was accessing /dev/uscanner0
rather than /dev/ugen0.  So I started suspecting a bug in sane.  I downloaded
and compiled sane-backends-1.0.19 standalone, since pkgsrc was installing
sane-backends-1.0.18.  That is when it started working.  Apparently there is a
bug in sane-backends-1.0.18.

However, there also appears to be a problem in the uscanner driver in
dragonfly-1.12.2-RELEASE as well.  I have not tried -current.

Running on 1.12.2-RELEASE kernel with uscanner built in, it can talk to the
scanner via /dev/uscanner0 but it does not work properly.

    # scanimage > zzz.pnm

Turned on the light and scanned but never retracted the scanner and turned
off the light.  After a while I hit <cntl>C.

    ^Cscanimage: received signal 2
    scanimage: trying to stop scanner

After about 15 or 20 seconds, I hit <cntl>C again.  This time it retracted
the scanner, turned off the light and gave this error.

    ^Cscanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

If I use the older kernel, it uses /dev/ugen0 via libusb and seems to work
fine.