HAMMER lockup

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Mon Jun 30 01:56:27 PDT 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:found disconnected inode 000000010411441e
:[diagnostic] cache_lock: blocked on 0xc1529aa8 "log.smbd"
:
:log.smbd is strangely on a UFS partition.
:
:I know this is hard to debug but posted here as maybe we can sort it out
:anyway. I am glad to provide the information you need and perform the
:necessary tests as there is no sensitive data on this rig.
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal MD <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
:University Of Szeged, HU

    Try it with all the recent commits.  If it is still locking up
    break into the debugger and do a 'ps' to see what the processes
    are all stuck on.
    I've fixed a couple of issues, half of which were in the kernel
    itself.  So far my test box running with hw.physmem="128m" is
    still alive.
This sounds like Hammer will be very well suited for embedded products
like NAS boxes. Indeed Hammer would make a great product as a combined
backup/file-server appliance, using CIFS to serve Windows clients.
I am curious how much CPU such an appliance would ideally need, i.e. how
CPU-bound Hammer is, for example compared to UFS. Any recommendations?
For example would a low-power 1 GHZ single-core Sempron work out well or
is it better to use a Quad-core? I'm happy with any qualitative
answer...
Thanks in advance.

  Michael