Library path for compiling/linking

Vincent vince.dragonfly at hightek.org
Mon Jun 16 23:43:25 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:42:53PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 03:25:56AM -0500, Vincent wrote:
> > Does anybody know how to add library search paths to the environment for
> > compiling on Dragonfly without having to specify paths with -L on the
> > command line?
>
> It is not possible without hacking GCC itself or overriding the spec
> file. Essentially, don't do this.
>
> Joerg

Thanks Joerg.  Hmm.  I also tried "export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/pkg/lib".
That did not work either, even though the manual on *gcc* says

    LIBRARY_PATH
           The value of LIBRARY_PATH is a colon-separated list of directories,
           much like PATH.  When configured as a native compiler, GCC tries
           the directories thus specified when searching for special linker
           files, if it can't find them using GCC_EXEC_PREFIX.  Linking using
           GCC also uses these directories when searching for ordinary
           libraries for the -l option (but directories specified with -L come
           first).

Previously, setting the library path in the environment has allowed a lot of
packages to compile without special configure options on systems such as
NetBSD.  Is this deliberately disabled for GCC on Dragonfly?  Or is it
something that is temporarily broken?