GSoC: LiveCD

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Jun 2 11:24:54 PDT 2008

On Mon, June 2, 2008 6:34 am, Louisa Luciani wrote:

> Perhaps we can begin by discussing the desktop environment/window
> manager (Everyone who has emailed me so far has a different opinion on
> this). e.g. What are your experiences? Do we want more qt or gtk programs?

I don't want to drown the user in choices; the whole reason for a Live
disk like this is to let the user get started doing stuff, and not have to
take time picking window managers and other programs.

Any window manger will work, as long as it remains the same.  Knowing what
the interface will look like is very valuable when troubleshooting or
writing documentation; nobody wants to have to rewrite instructions three
times for every window manager that might be running.

My concern (and this is possible with any WM) is that it recognizably
looks like a DragonFly system.  There should be some obviously available
READMEs on the desktop; links to the website, a desktop background pulled
from the ones we have saved in cvs:/site/save - etc.