lpd is broken

Vincent Stemen vince.dragonfly at hightek.org
Thu Jul 17 23:59:27 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:53:43PM -0700, Dylan Reinhold wrote:
> Vincent Stemen wrote:
>> Sorry guys.  Another problem you may not want to propagate to the 2.0
>> release.
>>
>> lpd works for local printing but is broken for remote printing.
>> .............SNIP...............
>> Our printcaps:
>>
>>   Client:
>>       lp|Line Printer:\
>>           :sh:lp=:rm=10.0.0.201:rp=:\
>>           :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>>           :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>>    ..............SNIP...............
> Vincent,
>  I was able to reproduce your same results. It looks like lpd is being
> confused by the parameters in your printcap. Bug or not, if I remove the
> 'rp=' it works for me. It seems to have an issue where you set the remote
> printer to nothing, where it is set to lp by default if you leave this out.
>
> Dylan

Thank you Dylan.  Removing rp=: did fix it, which makes it a non-show
stopper issue.  It apparently is still a bug though, because having the
rp=: entry on the dragonfly client, would crash lpd on the dragonfly
server when the server was configured for a local printer.  We use
Dragonfly for hardware development.  We are happy we can now print our
circuit boards :-).  That printcap entry was a carry over from our old
NetBSD environment.

Leave it to us to find some obscure way make things break :-).