console

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Sun Jul 27 14:01:46 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 09:57:55PM +0200, Erik Wikström wrote:

> Yes, in a way. [..]
>
> Either one can choose to use the absolute latest code in HEAD, or one
> can go the safe route and follow the changes to a release branch. A
> third alternative is to follow the Preview-tag, which is somewhere
> between a release branch and HEAD.
>
> [..] but in general I would advice against using it for a
> production system since every update might introduce instabilities,
> bugs, and other kinds of problems. In corporate settings regular
> releases are usually preferable since they allow for planned upgrades.

Probably there's something I'm still missing - but suppose, that we're
replacing components "the rolling way", following release branch. As I
understand, it contains debugged and well-tested versions, so, actually,
why should it differ - when we mean stability - from upgrade of a complete
system at once?

The idea is, that actually it should be the same - but instead of be done
within a hour, it could be done gradually, within six months, for example.
After every single component - well-tested - reached release branch.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski