console

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Sun Jul 27 13:46:01 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 08:37:59PM +0100, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> >What a pity - it would be nice to keep both "national" characters and
> >semigraphics in text mode.
>
> We'd love to see contributions in this regard -

Well, as soon as I'll be able to - but presently I don't have so deep
knowledge about terminals. Was just wondering, if anything planned in that
area.

> probably this would require a graphics console, however.

No, not at all - smacs/rmacs strings are kind of "switch", which allows to
utilize both charsets of standard VGA card at one time. Such way one can
have 512 characters to choose from - and this is how linux console works,
and how one can use mutt, slrn, mc and other console tools, having both
national characters and semigraphic ones (using curses library, of course).

> DragonFly is no distribution, but a whole OS.

That's just semantics. We can say: "there's just one and only `distribution'
of DF" as well (I think so).

> DragonFly itself doesn't have packages, so there is nothing to be updated
> in a rolling way.  Except for the base system, which of course is rolling,
> like any other software product.

I'm not sure, whether one can say, that really "any other"(?) software can
be described as having rolling - not "cycled" - release model. Maybe in a
way, which Eric used.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski