question about bridge and dummynet

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jul 25 00:34:02 PDT 2008

:Hi all,
:
:I would like to ask if it is impossible to compile "bridge" into
:kernel (DFBSD2),
:I tried "options BRIDGE" and "device if_bridge", both failed with
:error "unknown option/device".

    I think it can only be loaded as a module.

:I had to revise "/etc/rc.conf" (cloned_interfaces="bridge0" ...) to
:bring bridge to work, and set "net.link.ether.ipfw=1,"
:but I found dummynet does not work with bridging traffic. Also, I
:could not find variables like "net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw" .
:Can anyone help me with that?

    It likely wouldn't, but it does look like PF (packet filter)
    can be used with bridges.

    man pf.conf and pfctl.  It takes a bit of getting used to, PF
    is far more sophisticated then IPFW.

:Besides, I found another variable "net.inet.ip.dummynet.cpu", what's
:its purpose?

    (I don't know the answer to that one)

:Thank you very much.
:Ji