fdisk implementation

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Thu Jul 10 11:23:01 PDT 2008

Freddie Cash wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Jost Tobias Springenberg

> Sorry, couldn't tell you about that.  I'm just a user of sfdisk, don't
> know anything about its internals.

Apparently it doesn't depend on much:

niobe% ldd /usr/local/sbin/sfdisk
/usr/local/sbin/sfdisk:
        libdialog.so.6 => /usr/lib/libdialog.so.6 (0x28086000)
        libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x280a3000)
        libncurses.so.7 => /lib/libncurses.so.7 (0x281a0000)

But of course it is deficient in that it doesn't see logical partitions.
With it you can edit 4 primary partitions, period. No logical, no
bsd partitions. In other words, it is of very limited utility, in my
opinion. A good partitioning tool is still lacking for FreeBSD,
able to do at least what Linux cfdisk does so simply. I suppose the geometry
problems which plague FreeBSD sysinstall are also present on sfdisk.

--

Michel Talon