kernel can't find boot device ad

mustkaru karu.pruun at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 26 09:36:07 PST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 3:24 PM, walt <wa1ter at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, mustkaru wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I successfully installed Dragonfly on my laptop and compiled a new
> > kernel. However, when booting the new kernel panics: can't find boot
> > device 'ad' (root is on /dev/ad0s1a). There is no 'ad' in the list of
> > devices recognized by kernel. ata0 appears in the boot messages
> > though. The nata devices are all present in my kernel config file,
> > precisely as in GENERIC. What might be wrong?
>
> How far does the boot process go before the panic?  Do you see the
> kernel enumerating all the hardware on the motherboard?  Can you
> still boot the original GENERIC kernel okay?

Yes, the custom kernel boots fine all the way until when it starts to
mount the root device. Then it stops, gives the prompt and says there
is no device 'ad' so it can't mount the root fs '/dev/ad0s1a'. Indeed,
'ad' is not the list of possible devices it lists; 'ata' is though,
and it recognizes ata0 and ata1. I attach the GENERIC messages file;
the custom kernel stops short the line where the GENERIC reports

'Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a'

When the custom kernel fails, I then boot up with install CD, release
1.10.1, and put back the GENERIC kernel which is installed by default.
The GENERIC then works ok again.

I just wanted to compile the new kernel to slim it down and throw out
debugging stuff.

I attach the custom kernel config file, perhaps I've missed a driver?
Yet, all I've essentially done is comment out debugging and SCSI
devices, firewire, RAID, NICs that I don't have/need.

best, Must

messages_0