How to rebuild LiveCD

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu Jan 24 11:14:57 PST 2008

Haidut wrote:
The DFLY "release" process I think is geared towards creating an
"installation" live CD. It will boot but won't be a ready-to run GUI
environment just like your HDD deployment but rather a live CD from
which you can install the applications you chose to include when
creating this custom "release" CD.
I'm with Matt on this one. If someone does such a thing, please
integrate it into the nrelease framework. Something like "make gui
release" or so.

In fact, I hacked a bit on it once, and the main issues up to the point
where I got (I think it was starting up X from the CD but not much more)
were iirc:

1) That with pkgsrc it seemed impossible to have meta packages on a
local drive and have it download their dependencies from some mirror.

2) Adjusting to the current CD setup where most available disk space is
read only. A real effort would probably include laying out filesystems
differently.

I also think it should be a live DVD then. But it depends on the
packages you'd want on it, of course.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx