cvsup

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Mon Jan 21 03:18:35 PST 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:
   People shouldn't worry about server side overhead all that much.  Cpu
   cycles are cheap and the cvs tree is completely cached in memory anyway.
   And the only effect that extra network bandwidth has is that it takes
   a little longer to run the operation.  Now, granted, we don't want people
   to be downloading a whole copy's worth of network bandwidth every day,
   but rsync is close enough that I just don't care.
   One of the original reasons for using cvsup was so people could maintain
   local branches of the repository.  I don't think people do this much
   anymore, if they do it all.  Disk space is so cheap these days that
   keeping a master sync copy and a separate one for local work is not a big
   deal.
						-Matt

Not that DragonFly is not already usable - but the time is approaching -
perhaps Q3 or Q4 2008 - when enough 'good stuff' will converge to give
it a distinct 'edge'. Especially if the 'major' *BSD doesn't soon find
its way back to a more predictable and less fragile model.

*Then* the bandwidth and all could very much matter.

OTOH, enlisting more mirrors and managing them appropriately can
probably happen rather rapidly if/as/when that sort of avalanche begins.

PPPPPP

Bill