Wiki Spam again

Sdävtaker sdavtaker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 10:03:02 PST 2008

Matthias Schmidt escribió:
* Matthias Schmidt wrote:

He Justin,

* Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

The wiki is now set to only allow registered users to edit.  Of course,
there already was a spam page added last night by a registered user.  It
would appear that a captcha on registration is the logical next step.

Agreed.  Better now than later :)

To second that, we have already some registered users adding spam to the
wiki (see Recent Changes).  We need to delete these accounts as well.
BTW:  I cannot delete pages any longer.  The entry is gray ... is that
intended?
	Matthias

I think the registration is a step backwards, captcha for unregistered
users will do it a lot easier for users and mantainers. I had read that
occacional users changes are minimal, but those changes are those that
people registered never see, becouse they already went over the same
thing so many times that already skip the lecture, let say the tutorial
about how to find a file in the FS, who reads it? maybe a newbie found
it doesnt really work, invest some time in find why googling, and want
to add his own experience, we loosing that, the experienced user dont
see those little details that are key for a well documented OS, the
users-comments area can add those experiences for us without give the
unregistered users writting access, but like i said before, we got no
other way of feedback than the edition.
About Textcha, i guess i will never be able to add things to handbook
after implemented (my english sucks as you probably already noticed) lot
of people doesnt speak english as main language and will get pissed off
after 2-3 failed textcha tries.
Maybe we should consider a wiki migration, if the one we using doesnt
have a lot of basic features that almost every other has.
Im not a big experienced wiki user, but heard a lot of good comments
about mediawiki.
Sdav