cvsup

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Mon Jan 21 18:24:16 PST 2008

> <4794968D.8080501 at fs.ei.tum.de> <4794a63c$0$854$415eb37d at crater_reader.dragonflybsd.org> <4794B1B0.2040506 at fs.ei.tum.de>

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> Bill Hacker wrote:

*trimmed*

The bottom line - viewing it not a a coder, which I haven't been for
around 30 years - but as a Manager of scarce resources - primarily
*time*, and not even my own in this case - is that:

- Apparent: No readily available 'one size' fits all needs well enough
to justify excluding others.

- Apparent: There is enough gain to justify running parallel options

- Suspected: There is NOT PRESENTLY enough 'assured' gain to attract the
support needed to run more than one (or even *any*) as well as they need
to be run order to secure value. See the comment about the existing git
repository not being current... A good idea, bed-ridden, is less mobile
  a bandaged-up idea on crutches.

Even so - it should NOT be necessary to chose 'one and only' one, e.g.
move off CVS to <else-thing>.

The missing resource is not addressed by taking any one coder away from
coding to maintain a repository - nor creating a new toolset from scratch.

It *may* be solvable by enlisting several coders to digress long enough
to invest in the automation that makes it possible for less effort in
future to keep at least one alternative repository system in top form.

I do not know if that should be git or some other CVS alternative.

But the payback has to become apparent in months if not weeks - no more
than that - ELSE it is 'faster' to continue to deal with the Devil one
knows than retrain - and *still* struggle.

Even so - someone with admin skills AND understanding of what matters
AND how it has to work, AND daily availability to stay on top of it,
i.e. almost by definition NOT a coder - would be needed to keep it sorted.

That's the issue as I see it - need for what we 'Politically Incorrect'
old farts used to (be allowed to) call a 'Gal Friday'.

- but analysing  a barrier isn't the same as removing it, and I am in no
better position to actually fix it than anyone else that has yet spoken.

That said - while one cannot 'herd cats' or 'direct' the efforts of
volunteers... perhaps 'will' and 'need' can enlist enough consensus to
move a solution out of 'wish for' and into 'useful' land.

pkgsrc revanche. It has paid-off.

ELSE - do the best that can be done with existing tools for a while longer.

Bill