USB stack

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Wed Jan 16 11:16:03 PST 2008

Hasso Tepper wrote:
Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Then devices should be probed and if there is a better match than ugen
and if the ugen device is not open, it should be detached from ugen and
attached to the new driver.  Do you think this would be possible?
There is a lot of things that suck in USB stack all BSD's are using at the
moment. This particular one is one of smallest ones I worry about ;).

There is a light though. There is a new USB stack known as HPS or usb4bsd
under development in FreeBSD. This particular problem is already resolved
there as well. Also two biggest problems with current stack - sucking
isochronous transfer support and sucking ugen.

See these for details:
http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd/
http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/usb
Volunteers to port needed ;P.

Here is a just-discovered oddity to also look for - though I haven't
tested it on a 'real' *BSD yet.

OS X 10.3.9 PowerBook 17" G4

- USB external kbd.

--  If directly attached to the PowerBook, kbd works when coming out of
'sleep'.

-- If kbd is attached via an unpowered USB hub, it is ignored when
coming out of 'sleep', and has to be unplugged/replugged (either
kbd-to-hub or the hub-to-PowerBook.

This apparently relates to powering-down USB when sleeping, but I cannot
fathom why there should be the difference exhibited once it awakens.

Anyone able to test for that on DFLY?

Bill