how to get dragonfly and freebsd source code

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Tue Jan 22 10:23:24 PST 2008

om>	 <200801211807.m0LI7lpC074745 at apollo.backplane.com> <7edf53140801220636y392bd5e0k58db89d49d28b9eb at mail.gmail.com>

dark0s Optik wrote:
> But I don't want to program in assembly, but in C language. For
> example, I would like to analyze C code of FreeBSD or Linux for
> processors. I'm not capable to assemble hardware.
>
> 2008/1/21, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com>:
>>    I think you have deciide exactly *what* you want to program.  If
>>    you want to mess around with hardware, e.g. blinking an LED or driving
>>    a LED display or something like that, or build a small controller such
>>    as a thermostat or a hottub controller, then the best way to do that is
>>    to buy an 80x51 series microcontroller.  Those things are almost
>>    completely self contained and have a little 8 bit microprocessor on them.
>>    They can't run anything sophisticated but they're the best way to learn
>>    how to program a processor.  They are also extremely cheap, in the
>>    $3-$15 range typically.  And you can very easily breadboard them.
>>
>>    High-end chips like the ultrasparc, or intel, or amd.... those are very
>>    complex cpus and frankly you are better off simply writing assembly
>>    from inside a real operating system, like DragonFly (or any unix) and
>>    running it that way, instead of on bare hardware.
>>
>>                                                -Matt

Matt is telling you how to take the first steps if you want to learn and
grow. Shortcuts are few, and none are free. Time, study, and more time
must be invested.

Starting directly with 'C' AND an Operating System port is like trying
to conduct an orchestra and learning to read sheet music in the same
afternoon. All you would produce is confusing noise.

If you are serious - start with Minix. It is has a very small code-base,
was designed specifically as a teaching and learning tool, and has books
to match that explain everything in it.

Bill