rsync and new mirroring tool (was cvsup)

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Tue Jan 22 02:01:44 PST 2008

Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> writes:
>     #2.  It's ok for crater to be listed, but it should be commented out
>     for now.  Manual use of crater is fine, its the automatic cron jobs
>     that I'd like to avoid :-)

Hrm...

> cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup
> grep "default host" DragonFly*
DragonFly-cvs-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
DragonFly-preview-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
DragonFly-release1_2-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
DragonFly-release1_4-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
DragonFly-release1_6-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
DragonFly-release1_8-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
DragonFly-src-supfile:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
> host cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
cvsup.dragonflybsd.org is a nickname for crater.dragonflybsd.org
crater.dragonflybsd.org has address 216.240.41.25
crater.dragonflybsd.org mail is handled (pri=10) by crater.dragonflybsd.org

Given your desired policy above, I'd say moving that CNAME to a higher
bandwidth mirror would take some of the load off of your link. The CNAME
is, of course, what I use in my automatic cron job...and the principle
of least surprise suggests that I shouldn't be overloading anyone's link
using a provided example.

Perhaps I was mistaken to presume that the example would point to
something that would tolerate cron jobs? :)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Nasrudin was driving a friend in his car at a spanking
pace. Suddenly, glimpsing a signpost, the friend called out
"Mulla, we're going in the wrong direction!"
"Why don't you ever think of something good?" came the
reply. "Just look, for instance, at the speed we are going at."