cvsup

Vincent Stemen vs1 at crel.us
Fri Jan 18 10:17:50 PST 2008

On 2008-01-18, Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode at fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:
> Vincent Stemen wrote:
>> *** using cvsup
>>
>> cvsup -L 3 ./DragonFly-cvs-supfile  155.08s user 69.40s system 40% cpu 9:14.73 total
>
> I for sure didn't use cvsup for a long time, but that seems quite long.
> This can happen for various reasons (just guesses):
>
> - CVSup not knowing certain tags ("commitid") and thus falling back to a
> less efficient mechanism
>
> - not using the list files which store file information.  Be sure to run
> cvsup -s

Ok.  I was not aware of the -s switch.  That is a good suggestion.
I will see if I can make the time to re-run the comparison tests this
evening with "cvsup -s".

Although, technically it was probably the most fair performance
comparison to rsync without the "-s" because rsync still works properly
if files have been locally modified.