FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Thu Feb 28 07:57:55 PST 2008

> Sure, but SMP scalability is one of the key goals of DragonFly, and
> for it to be beaten by NetBSD (for which this is not a major goal, and
> for which SMP scalability only started being worked on a year ago) is
> very confusing. I haven't seen it compared with 1.12, but since no
> huge scalability work has gone in for a long time, I doubt it would
> close the gap much.

While a scalable SMP implementation is a goal of DragonFly, so is many other
things. There isn't very many people around besides Matt that have the time
and the skill to help pushing the big giant lock out. it simple as that. Im
sure more developers would be welcome. But if evrything goes as planned with
HAMMER, i think you'll be seeing more interest in DragonFly quite soon and
probably much higher SMP performance by the end of the year.

Petr