FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Feb 28 07:02:20 PST 2008

On Thu, February 28, 2008 5:53 am, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:

> before internet clustering becomes useful at all. That's my biggest
> fear regarding this project - that by the time its highest goals are
> achievable, the full potential of those goals will still be out of
> reach, perhaps forever.

Only if someone else figures out an open-source SSI system first.  I'm not
so worried about this because open source operating systems aren't really
important any more.  People care about the applications running on them.

People are far more concerned about a system's ability to match their
application environment than anything else these days.  Putting it another
way: if we couldn't reliably run Apache, we'd be much more worried than if
we're relatively low on a benchmark.  We've got a big leg up for having
pkgsrc and having so many pkgsrc packages run well on DragonFly.  (much
credit to Joerg for that.)

Anyway, this is an open-source project.  We don't have to meet any goals
or profit levels unless we want to; the only thing we need to do is enjoy
what we are doing.  Judging by other people's responses here, that's
working.

> That's really good to hear. It's hard to tell just from mailing lists.
>
> See, my problem is, I really care about DragonFly from a very geeky
> perspective. I want the clever, somewhat revolutionary ideas to win
> and show the rest of the world how it's done. But on the other hand,
> Inferno was set to do that, and how relevant is that now?

I'm curious to see what the commit frequency is over time for DragonFly; I
was hoping Ohloh would have that tracked, but I don't see it.  There's
other folks out there that have solutions graphing from CVS, but nothing
yet that's a drop-in solution.

( http://www.ohloh.net/projects/7261/analyses/latest )

Commit frequency isn't an exact measure, but I love infoporn as much as
any other geek.