FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

Adrian Michael Nida nida at musc.edu
Wed Feb 27 21:06:12 PST 2008

Quoting Dmitri Nikulin <dnikulin at gmail.com>:

Hi everyone, I've been busy so I haven't said anything here in a long
time, but reading about FreeBSD 7 has raised some thoughts.
<Snip/>

Same here.  From one old busy quiet guy to another, welcome back.

<SnipAndRearrange/>
I look forward to being told I'm completely wrong and everything is
much better than it seems :)
<SnipAndRearrange/>

"You're completely wrong and everything is much better than it seems"

Happy?  Let's now show you why...

<SnipAndRearrange/>
The benchmark at http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/os-mysql.png
<SnipAndRearrange/>

Is measuring 1.8.  We're at 1.12 now.  I'm sure an updated graph has a
different
trend.  Take it upon yourself to redo the benchmark.

<SnipAndRearrange/>
At the risk of sounding like a troll, may I ask, if FreeBSD 7 has high
performance, high stability and remains reasonably clean and
maintainable, doesn't that partly invalidate the reasons DragonFly was
created?
<SnipRearrangeAndClippedForBandwith/>

Partly, but there are will always be many more for why it should continue.
Focus on those, we still have a long way to fly.
Adrian