Console screen corruption?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Tue Dec 16 00:58:34 PST 2008

walt schrieb:
Can you try one more thing? From qemu, do 'kldload vesa', choose some valid
mode number from the output of 'vidcontrol -i mode' (15, 16 or 32 bit will
do), and set a VESA mode with 'vidcontrol MODE_<number>'. Tell me if the
problem persists with the new resolution.
Hey, that works!  Completely fixes the blanking-every-other-character while
scrolling through my command history.
I hope that suggests a possible fix for this problem?

(BTW I chose vidcontrol MODE_30 more or less at random.)
Ok, that's not a VESA mode though (which begin at 256), but the info is
useful anyways, although I'm a bit confused.

As far as I can see, 'MODE_30' should be identical to '80x50' text mode
(you can confirm that by looking at 'vidcontrol -i mode' output and see
if it says '80x50 in the fifth column for mode 30). But in an earlier
mail (where I asked you to try 'vidcontrol -f 8x8 iso-8x8.fnt 80x50')
you sounded as if 80x50 didn't make a difference.

So, as MODE_30 seems to work, does the problem return if you switch back
from MODE_30 to 80x25 with 'vidcontrol 80x25'?

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx