My personal pkgsrc FAQ

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed Dec 17 19:46:02 PST 2008

On Wed, December 17, 2008 3:36 am, Sascha Wildner wrote:

> Please don't forget the LiveDVD which should be rebuildable by the user
> using the "official" set of packages without having to resort to
> home-rolled packages or packages from some non-standard location.
>
> To ensure this, we definitely need the packages earlier than "right at
> release time".

pkgbox has up to date packages now that are downloadable, though the
pkg_radd redirect hasn't been pointed at them yet - will this work?

> Another thought I had for some time: Pkg_radd uses the
> http://pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org/All redirection if I remember correctly.
> Can't we have a version number in the /All redirection mechanism so that
> we can have different pkg_radd's (HEAD, release, etc.) use different
> sets of packages?

Yeah, this would work nicely.  We'd have to be careful about versioning,
though, since our releases and pkgsrc quarterly releases aren't synced.
Each quarterly release of pkgsrc stops development on the previous one, so
that's an easy answer: always build the latest.  Should I do the same for
DragonFly?

We also need to lock pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org to the latest release
version; it's at 2.1.1 now which was somewhat unavoidable because of the
Hammer changes Matt had to add, but it in general should match if we're
going to make release-specific sets.