fdisk implementation

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Dec 16 14:43:54 PST 2008

Jost Tobias Springenberg wrote:
After taking a look at these implementations I realized that the best way to tackle this
problem might be to take the fdisk we have right now, keep its basic functionality for
the users, audit the code and replace the interactive mode completely by a ncurses based version.
I think this effort will be highly appreciated.  I don't think that you
will have to use C for this task, any reasonable other language will
probably do as well, just lead to less errors :)

In the process of this replacement it would also be useful to add the following features:
	+ make it easier for unexperienced users to specifying partition size / start- and endpoints
	+ basic support for disklabels (maybe it is possible to simply interact with the disklabel tool here)
	+ add something like a "magic key" that aligns the partition with the next/previous
	  partition automatically (as it appears in minix)
This sounds reasonable.  A simple "Add partition here in this free space"
with sensible default values (i.e. everything) should do the trick for
most cases.  Maybe you will get around implementing support for extended
partitions, because that is currently not supported by our fdisk (but
conceptually easy to add).

cheers
  simon
--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /