Console screen corruption?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Dec 12 11:45:00 PST 2008

:I've installed dfly using the kvm/qemu emulator and I'm seeing
:strange corruption of the console screen at times.
:
:Some lines of text will have every other character blacked out,
:and some lines display perfectly.  Does this sound like some sort
:of confusion between ascii and utf-8, perhaps?  That's the only
:thing I can think of.
:
:One notable clue is that dfly and freebsd are the only systems I
:have this problem with. OpenBSD, NetBSD and linux work correctly,
:so I'm hoping someone may know what code dfly and fbsd use that
:would account for the problem.
:
:Thanks for any hints.

    They are likely trying to emulate VESA modes and getting confused.
    I'm pretty sure qemu has command line options that allow you to
    use a 'serial' console, or options to manipulate the console mode
    to something more compatible.

					<dillon at backplane.com>