vkernel(7) usage and granularity of privileges

Andreas Bartelt dragonflybsd at bartula.de
Sun Dec 28 04:51:54 PST 2008

Hello,

the example in vkernel(7) shows how to start a vkernel with bridged
networking. Unfortunately, this requires to start the whole vkernel as
root user, since opening a tap(4) device requires superuser privileges.
Without bridged networking, vkernel runs fine without superuser privileges.

I'm looking for a solution which runs the vkernel as unprivileged user
but still allows me to use the bridged tap device. Is there an
out-of-the-box solution for this in DragonFlyBSD?

regards,
Andreas