mutt's buffy-list

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Aug 27 12:53:51 PDT 2008

:On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:01:50AM +0900, YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
:> My questions are, is checking st_size of a directory is usual on other
:> platforms/filesystems?  Does anyone know of other filesystems on which
:> a directory can have st_size of zero?
:
:I don't know any filesystem where the directories have a fixed size of
:0. I don't think that should be done, it is helpful for other things.
:
:Nevertheless, it should likely check the link count...
:
:Joerg

    HAMMER directory entries are not applied to the directory's link count.
    I'm not going to update the directory inode whenever a file is
    created or deleted.

    A HAMMER directory has an st_size of zero.  It isn't a regular file.
    Each directory entry is a B-Tree record.

    I could fake it I guess, but programs really have no business making
    assumptions about directories based on their st_nlinks or st_size
    fields.

					<dillon at backplane.com>