mutt's buffy-list

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Aug 27 09:43:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, August 27, 2008 17:01, YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
> Hello.
> Since I have switched /home to a HAMMER PFS, mutt stopped reporting
> mailboxes with new messages.  Digging mutt source code, I found something
> relavant:
>

> mutt_buffy_check:
>

> if (stat (tmp->path, &sb) != 0 || sb.st_size == 0 || (!tmp->magic &&
> (tmp->magic = mx_get_magic (tmp->path)) <= 0))
> {
> /* if the mailbox still doesn't exist, set the newly created flag to
> * be ready for when it does. */
> tmp->newly_created = 1; tmp->magic = 0; tmp->size = 0; continue; }
>

> As HAMMER always reports st_size of directories to be 0, mutt thinks
> that the mailbox is specified in $mailboxes but doesn't exist(yet). My
> questions are, is checking st_size of a directory is usual on other
> platforms/filesystems?  Does anyone know of other filesystems on which a
> directory can have st_size of zero?

SUSv3 says:

off_t     st_size    For regular files, the file size in bytes.
                     For symbolic links, the length in bytes of the
                     pathname contained in the symbolic link.
[SHM]
                     For a shared memory object, the length in bytes.

[TYM]
                     For a typed memory object, the length in bytes.

                     For other file types, the use of this field is
                     unspecified.

Doesn't say anything about directories, so I guess mutt is wrong.

cheers
  simon