Website Improvement Ideas

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Apr 10 20:05:00 PDT 2008

On Thu, April 10, 2008 5:42 pm, James Frazer wrote:
> A post was made on the DragonFlyBSD Digest which had some questions
> regarding the userfriendlyness of the DragonFly website.
>
> After some consideration I decided to do a quick re-arrangement & mockup
> to try and make a better homepage (of course it can be said many
> underlying pages could use some adjustments as well).

This is all great; I've made several attempts to put something together to
change the content of the site to make it more focused, but I hadn't
actually completed any of it - got too caught up in the process, or
something else intervened.

My comments -
- At least the DragonFly logo should be on the about page, in a few
different formats.  This way, when another site wants a graphic to go with
a story that mentions DragonFly, they have something usable.  I've seen a
lot of places take the main site logo, which is OK, but a better version
with a different aspect ratio wouldn't hurt.

- We can always change the visual appearance in a separate task.

- I'd make the Download even more prominent, with a big graphic, similar
to the Firefox website.  I'd wager most of our traffic is for that
purpose, after all.