Hardware compatibility

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Fri Oct 12 20:20:27 PDT 2007

Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'll be buying parts for an AMD-based system tomorrow and I'd appreciate info
> on what motherboards/chipsets you have booted DragonFly on without problems.
> Problems you've encountered are helpful also. Hopefully your answers will be
> useful to other buyers too (at least for the next few months).
>
> TIA,
> Aggelos

Still honing in on these, my priorities have unfortunately been
elsewhere of late. in any case:

- Tyan Tomcat S3970-U w/1x Dual Core Opteron

  SMP OK with APIC_IO as well. HT1000 chipset, SATA seemed ok
  both in sata and in 'legacy' IDE mode, although I did have
  a strange filesystem corruption problem at one point.. not enough to
  go on of yet - machine was loaded via homebrew rconfig scripts
  using 'ftp |gunzip -f -| restore', which easily could have been the
  problem.. GigE ok via em(4). Didn't try non text graphics modes,
  but I suspect VESA stuffs should be ok. not much else on the board
  since it's a server, although I'm looking forward to investigating
  the new sensors port..

  still need more benchmarks / stress tests, planning on these shortly,
  haven't really run the machine for more than a few hours at a time
  yet, but it boots.

- Acer Ferrari 1000 w/ Turion 64 x2

  SMP OK with APIC_IO off.. ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 chipset. At one
  point, I had some problems with NATA (and therefore using the
  drive in SATA mode), but this was about 1/2 way through the 1.8->1.10
  release cycle, and I haven't had a chance to update this machine
  yet since I need to use it constantly. WMA, ACPI suspend, etc.
  was in a similar state (e.g. didn't work, but have been lots of
  positive improvements in tree since then). Overall, quite reliable
  for day to day user, and on-board bge works fine too. Haven't had
  a chance to try the new broadcom wireless driver. Will be
  updating this one soon as well - missing out on too much goodness :)

Hopefully I'll have a chance to focus more on testing/digging into
the various chips on these machines over the next few months as the
project I'm working on is winding down.. fingers crossed.

This brings up a question:

any thoughts on a dmesg@ or similar ala [1] ? such a database
might be useful..

I think I need to shut up and code more.. anyways - good luck..

- Chris

. . [1] http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg