Should I jump into DFBSD?

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Fri Nov 9 00:19:50 PST 2007

Karthik Subramanian wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 7:33 AM, Sdävtaker <sdavtaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So... I cant use 1024x768 and neither i can play sokoban :-(
> > Someone knows about any workaround for the Nvidia driver?
> > Thanks for any info.
> > Sdäv
>
> Uh, I think kdegames *should* compile - I'm running vesa on an
> ATI Radeon Mobility X1300, and it works just fine. Don't see why
> it shouldn't work on an Nvidia card either - I did this around 6 months
> ago, but currently don't have the box to confirm that everything is in
> working order.

Kdegames compiles, for some strange reason just not in pkgsrc. I haven't
time to investigate it yet. KDE runs just fine in DragonFly and as KDE
committer I hope to take care that it will stay so.

About graphics cards support - you just have to look at Xorg drivers and
forget about binary blobs. Intel chips (I use only these) have excellent
support, for ATI and Nvidia cards 2d is working mostly, latest chips may
not have support for all 2d accelerations (Xv, render). 3d hardware
acceleration isn't working in DragonFly anyway at the moment.

--
Hasso