cvs commit: src/sys/dev/disk/fd fd.c fdc.h

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Tue May 22 20:33:18 PDT 2007

Petr Janda wrote:
Matt Emmerton wrote:
You may be interested to know that my primary DFly development machine
is an
AMD Sempron-based system with a BIOS date of late 2004.  This machine
could
hardly be considered "ancient", but yet it has ISA slots and numerous
other
devices that rely on the ISA bus architecture.

Be careful what you wish for -- removing ISA support will prevent a great
deal of hardware from running DFly, and I don't think anyone is
interested
in taking that step.

--
Matt Emmerton

In that case, maybe leave ISA bus support in for legacy, but remove
support for rare/noone uses ISA based cards.

Petr
Many devices that were once on a visible, external, socketed ISA bus card have
long since moved into ~bridge silicon, and most BIOS (and OS) expect some of the
key ones to be there - be they emulated, downsized, integrated - whatever, and
all at far higher speed than the 'real' ISA' bus ever could have reached.

It could be another ten years before that 'worldview' changes. If then.

Bill