wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 9 01:12:43 PST 2007

Helge Rohde wrote:
<cut coercive detention>
Yes that's true but look on the bright side as long as you don't
cooperate you're still not convicted, though you may still be rotting in
a cell. The legal hook in this case is that they argue that they have
strong suspicion on evidence present in the encrypted data and they hold
you as long as they need to decrypt the data. Your own choice at that
moment is, does it take them longer to decrypt by brute force then my
sentence could be? If yes, well you know you go to jail but you probably
get out being alive :-). On the other hand most things that are not
illegal or immoral (which is a very stretchable state) but are private
do have a tendency to lose their sensitive part over time.

But the thing I really want to know, is when you do cooperate and there
is no evidence, how do they compensate your invasion on privacy, loss of
freedom and being restrained from basic human rights?

--
mph