VLAN issues

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 23:29:02 PDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com> wrote:
I am so sorry to be a pain in the ass....

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:52:20 +0800
"Sepherosa Ziehau" <sepherosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) I have to 'addm' the VLAN interfaces to the bridge manually
> > (they get added correctly then, this did not work at all before).
>
> Does the addm work now?
Only manually.

> > 2) When I try to tcpdump bridge0, I get 'network is down'. I also
> > have to 'up' bridge0 manually.
>
> Do you mean bridge0 is not up if it is configured in rc.conf?
Yes. In rc.conf I have:
ifconfig_bridge0="addm vlan0 addm vlan2 up"
When I do from commandline:
# ifconfig bridge0 addm vlan0 addm vlan2 up

it works. Strange.
I think it is caused by that vlan ifaces are brought up after bridge
ifaces.  If you have time you can dig the rc scripts.
> > 3) There are still no packets going through. :-(
>
> Things are a little bit complicated here, so I will need to talk to
> other developers when I have a clear solution, but I have a temporary
> workaround:
> ifconfig xl0 promisc
> ifconfig xl1 promisc

Does not help. Let me show you the structure:

HP 2524 #1 --- xl0 (vlan0 ID:11) -- bridge0 -- xl1 (vlan2 ID:11) -- HP2524 #2

The switches can not 'talk' to each other via the bridge.
Can box on HP#1 ping another box on HP#2?

OTOH: