To be a new DFly commiter

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Mar 17 17:27:03 PDT 2007

> > What FreeBSD and NetBSD lack is a good system for
> > management of binary packages. Marc has very well understood that,
> > and has  made every effort so that updates work smoothly. To my
> > knowledge OpenBSD is the only BSD which has a working update
> > mechanism, fully integrated.
>
> I completely agree with you - I prefer binary packages.  If nothing else,
> pkgmanager is getting close to taking away much of the pain of manual
> compilation and upgrading: http://www.scode.org/pkgmanager/ .

And pkg_select has been updated to work with binary packages using the
pkg_summary database. And I heard that pkg_chk can use the pkg_summary(5)
database for binary updates also.

By the way, OpenBSD's solution uses perl. Pkgsrc doesn't depend on perl as
perl is not installed on some pkgsrc developers/users systems.

  Jeremy C. Reed