C--

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Fri Jun 1 16:38:31 PDT 2007

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Fri, June 1, 2007 3:52 pm, Sascha Wildner wrote:

So... I'm kinda unsure here if the perspective of being able to remove
C++ from the build justifies reverting to the old mdoc macros. What do
the rest of you think?
Would there be any quantifiable benefit greater than the increased hassle
when importing man pages?  You didn't list any, so it sounds like there's
no real reason to do it.
Well, the heirloom-doctools are written in C, as opposed to groff (C++),
which afaik is the only thing in base that needs C++. Replacing groff
could mean we would no longer have to build C++ by default (only when,
say, WANT_CPLUSPLUS or so is set). So, shorter build time, smaller ISOs,
etc.

Other benefits (?): The heirloom doctools accept UTF8 input (while groff
can only output it, but I'm not 100% sure). Also they're derived from
the original tools (think of gawk vs. one true awk).

Stuff visible to the user: Not much, I think.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx