Using PKGSRC to install to non-standard LOCALBASE

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sun Jun 24 18:35:53 PDT 2007

On Sun, June 24, 2007 12:07 pm, Dave Hayes wrote:
> If I wanted to build Apache, for example, out of pkgsrc but I wanted
> it to be installed to a different prefix than LOCALBASE, how would I
> do that?
>
> There's enough warnings about using different values for LOCALBASE
> that I'd thought I'd check with the more experienced people out
> there.

My impression was that pkgsrc changes its base location monolithically;
e.g. all packages to the same spot, which is /usr/pkg/ by default.

It may be possible to do something in a jail or with chroot where you
build a new pkgsrc location with a bootstrap, install to that location,
package up that install, and then use it with your normal pkgsrc install.
Or I could be overcomplicating it.  pkgsrc-users at netbsd.org may also have
answers.