weired behavior

km b kmb810 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:22:05 PDT 2007

On 6/3/07, Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
    The video BIOS is messing with the 8254.  It may be worth a shot
    to try to use timer 1 instead of timer 2.
    Try putting this in /boot/loader.conf:

    hw.i8254.walltimer=1
this fixes the problem without any hardlocks.

    I am assuming you are booting without ACPI?  Usually the ACPI timer
    is used if you boot with ACPI and this problem doesn't occur.  If ACPI
    doesn't work for you it may still be possible to boot with ACPI just
    to get at the timer, but with most of the features disabled.  'man acpi'
    tells you how to disable certain features.
i am always booting with ACPI enabled. but still it uses the i8254 timer.
my guess was in SMP environment LAPIC timers are used.
Cheers
kmb
--
Something is wrong up on cloud # 9!