default Sendmail plus Cyrus-SASL

Joseph Garcia bsd_usr at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 19:00:21 PDT 2007

Hello all!

I'm trying to setup a sort of relay or gateway using Sendmail. Here's
there deal:

Our hosted email provider let's us send them email via SMTP but that
only works within the company's domain. If we want to send out of the
domain we need to authenticate against their SMTP server.

We have these nifty Canon copiers that can scan and email the document
in PDF form. Unfortunately, I can't put a username and password for SMTP
authentication. Thefore, I'm thinking I can setup Sendmail to accept
email from that Canon copier and then relaty it acting as a client to
our hosted email provider's SMTP server.

It seems like I need AUTH to do this which requires Cyrus-SASL. Okay, so
 I installed Cyrus-SASL from pkgsrc. Now I'm trying to rebuild sendmail
to be able to use SASL but I'm getting the following error:

dfly# /etc/rc.d/sendmail forcestart
Starting sendmail.
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.2: Shared object "libsasl2.so.2" not found,
required by "sendmail"
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.2: Shared object "libsasl2.so.2" not found,
required by "sendmail"

Okay, when I built sendmail I added the following lines to my
/etc/defaults/make.conf file:

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include/sasl -DSASL
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
Then I used the following websites as a guide to getting this to work:

http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/smtp-auth.html
http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html
So far I'm stuck with that "libsasl2.so.2" not found, required by
"sendmail" error.

Any help would be appreciated. If there's an easier way to do this, such
as another program then I'm all ears. I've always known that Sendmail
was a bitch to configure.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph Garcia