Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Jan 31 12:34:26 PST 2007

:Besides the finalization of vkernel, what else can we expect into 2.0? There are many long-awaited (not only by me) features and additions:
:- ZFS

    I am seriously considering our options with regards to ZFS or a
    ZFS-like filesystem.  We clearly need something to replace UFS,
    but I am a bit worried that porting ZFS would be as much work
    as simply designing a new filesystem from scratch.

    One big advantage of a from-scratch design is that I would be
    able to address the requirements of a clustered operating system
    in addition the requirements of multi-terrabyte storage media.

    With vertical recording, hard drives are set to exceed 1TB a platter
    either this year or next year.

:- updated installer: fixed web based installation etc.
:- updated PF
:- getting the network stack (and others) out of the BGL
:- AMD64 port.

    I am hoping other developers take up the ball on these items.

					<dillon at backplane.com>

:Note that this is not meant to be demanding at all, I am just interested, because there is no clear roadmap. I just would like to see the developers' plans.
:
:And don't forget: I am here to test. ;-)
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
:University Of Szeged, HU