help over "rsync vs cvsupd perfmance"

Karthik Subramanian karthik301176 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 08:50:22 PST 2007

On 1/1/07, Saverio Iacovelli <iacovelli_mail at yahoo.it> wrote:
Ok, I want to do a good test. So, I need some days
yet, about one or two weeeks, the CVSup and rsync
mirrors that I will test they are:
1) chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de
2) AllBSD.org
3) TheShell.com
My intention about test is the following:

1) I will test CVSup:
   - without and with compression of all data sent
over
     network
   - without and with ssh connection to server
2) I will test rsync:
   - without and with compression of all data sent
over
     network
   - without and with ssh connection to server
Offhand, I think that both the compression and the encryption due to
ssh would result in overheads we could do without. Personally, I'd be
interested in raw cvsup vs. raw rsync :) But that's just my opinion,
let that not stop you from finding out for yourself!
BTW, Saverio - when you say you're testing rsync without ssh, I'm
assuming that you'll be talking to the rsync daemon on the remote
server - is that right?
Have fun testing!

Cheers,
Karthik.