Using gcc41 for pkgsrc?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 21 09:12:24 PST 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Steve Mynott wrote:

> On 1/21/07, Justin C. Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, January 20, 2007 9:53 pm, walt wrote:

> > > I think gcc41 is ready for prime time (except for the kernel)
> > > so I hope to prod you gurus into whatever action it takes to
> > > get DragonFly ready for building packages with gcc41.

> > Looking through the pkgsrc-users mailing lists, there's been people
> > talking about breakage in places like kde and qemu caused by using gcc4;
> > however, it may be patched up by now.  The best way to check this would be
> > to do a bulk build and compare the number of successful package builds
> > using 4.1.  I don't know if there's time to fit this in.

> I assume the correct place to fix this would be within pkgsrc itself,
> since its not a DragonFly specific problem.

Right.  I see that NetBSD-current is using gcc4 now, so I assume the
pkgsrc devs will be doing the needed fixing.

> After a quick look there seems to be a GCC_REQD variable in the
> Makefiles for  the GCC version number, although pkgsrc being pkgsrc
> there are probably other variables.

I found that putting CCVER=gcc41 in make.conf and mk.conf doesn't
work, but typing 'CCVER=gcc41 bmake' on the command line does.
This problem will go away when we settle on gcc4* as the default.