help over "rsync vs cvsupd perfmance"

Peter Avalos pavalos at theshell.com
Wed Jan 3 20:29:00 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:20:11PM +0100, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
> I tried:
>
> cvsup -h theshell.com
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-src-supfile
>
> to update DragonFly's source.
> How can I update DragonFly's source with rsync? I
> tried:
>
> rsync -e rsh rsync://rsync.theshell.com/pub/DragonFly
> /usr/src
>
> but it don't work. Where is my error?

I think you're expecting to be able to rsync a checked-out version of the
src tree?  If so, theshell.com doesn't offer that.  If you want to grab
the cvs repository, try something like:

rsync -rtl --delete rsync.theshell.com/pub/DragonFly/dcvs/ /home/dcvs

This will fetch the entire cvs repository, and then you'll be able to
check out sources using cvs from that.

To be fair for testing, you'll probably want to make cvsup grab the same
thing (look at /usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-cvs-supfile).

If checked-out sources are desired, I guess I could set that up.  I think
you need to figure out exactly what you're benchmarking.

--Peter
pgp00001.pgp